MOTTO: Technology for Innovation and Development
HISTORY OF MERU NATIONAL POLYTECHNIC (MNP).
The Meru National Polytechnic (MNP) is located in Meru County along the Meru-Nanyuki highway, about 3 km from Meru Town and less than 1 km from Makutano Centre.
The Meru National Polytechnic was upgraded from Meru Technical Training Institute in 2016 and has been in operation since 1956 when it was started by the Meru County Council to train the youth in various practical skills. It was then known as Gitoro Technical. In 1964, the school was handed over to the regional education office and it became Meru Technical School, offering two-year duration courses.
In 1969 the school was upgraded to a technical vocational Training school and the course duration was extended to three years. In the same year, the first form one trainees were admitted being prepared for Kenya Junior Secondary School Examination (KJSE) at the end of two years. Those who passed and wished to continue to form three and four were transferred to the Mombasa Institute of Muslim Education (MIOME) the present-day Technical University of Mombasa (TUM). Those who remained were further trained for one year before joining the labour market.
In 1973, the school was once more upgraded to a Technical secondary school and the terminal examination became the East African Certificate of Education (EACE). In 1985 the secondary cycle started being phased out so that it became a Technical Training Institute in May 1986. It admitted the first cohort of trainees in the Accounts Clerk National Certificate (ACNC).
The first CPA trainees were admitted in 1988 while the first craft and diploma trainees were admitted in 1997. At present, the Polytechnic offers 6 Higher Diploma Courses, more than 33 Diploma courses, 31 Craft courses, and 6 Artisan courses. Currently, the Polytechnic has 253 academic and 114 non-academic staff, and a trainee Population of about 12,000 trainees.